Are you facing a legal issue, or just looking for more information about a specific legal topic? FindLaw’s Learn About the Law section is the perfect starting point. Learn About the Law features informational articles about a wide variety of legal topics, as well as specific information about subjects such as how to hire an attorney and understanding your state’s unique laws.
Learn About the Law articles are arranged by area of law, sometimes referred to as a “practice area”. Scroll down to find the area of law that most closely matches your needs, and then click into the section to find a breakdown of that area of law and a listing of specific articles. Not sure which area of law is right for you?
Major types of laws:
- Criminal Law – requires a high burden of proof and is typically difficult to prosecute computer crime under this type of law. Penalties in some cases can even include death.
- Felonies and Misdemeanors
- Civil Law – area of due diligence and known as tort law. Requires a preponderance of evidence and only financial penalties may be imposed.
- Regulatory Law – administrative and compliance such as HIPAA and SOX.
- Intellectual Property Law – know about WIPO. This is the area of licensing violations in the form of plagiarism, piracy, and espionage.
- Trademark Law – protects a name, symbol, sound, shape or color scheme used to identify and organization or product such as corporate brands or logos.
- Patent Law – protection of inventions.
Personal Injury Law, what is personal injury law? Personal Injury Law intro to Most of us have seen ads for personal injury attorneys. Featured smiling on billboards and ubiquitous TV commercials, personal injury lawyers tend to be highly visible. From car accidents to slip-and-falls, personal injury cases